Tuesday 26 March 2013

Why your past self needs therapy.

Facebook's Timeline profile thingy seemed pretty cool at first. I mean, all your posts from day one, your old pictures and everything. It was practically the story of your cyber life, albeit with a whole lot of fairy dust on your social life. And that seemed perfectly fine.

Until, there came a day, when your "friends" decided to stalk everything you've ever done. Remember that phase, where everything "Rocked!", or more precisely,"rokd!!!!!!"? Or when stuff was "kewl" and you practically injured your finger after pressing the "z" key for too long ('Cause obviously, "lol" couldn't be spelled without a thousand "z"s after it)? And of course, the time when you were selectively dyslexic and TyPD lyk dis @t ol tyms. Btw, if you're still in that phase, I forbid you from reading my blog anymore, and you might as well go join kindergarten all over again, or at least learn your basic spellings.

Yeah, with this Timeline stuff, your "friends" can see everything you've ever posted. EVER. EVERRR.

SO, your 5th grade angst-y statuses, and your 7th grade emo phase are well documented, incase anyone ever wants to write a book about you, or in a more likely scenario, blackmail you. And trust me, you're more likely going to wish for a time machine when your 6th grade post on "Mah lyf sux coz evr1 h8 me" is available for public scrutiny, than when you messed up your math test. 'Cause people are like that. I'm not being judgement or cynical, it's just the truth. People care way more about their social image than they should, and that's the way human society has functioned for decades.

So, now what, y'all ask me? How do we get out of this "labyrinth of suffering"(That was a "Looking For Alaska" quote; if you recognized that, I love you, random reader!) ? Though, that is a humongous exaggeration, it may not be, for some people. You have two ways to go about it. Number one, cringe inwardly, but laugh it off, saying that though the posts were the old you, they were still you. That's admirable, and you'll probably get away with it. I'm assuming that even a few of my old blog posts may have typos or things that I shudder to say now. I'm going to refrain from editing those, because it's pretty amusing to see how much things have changed. Way number two, is to reject your old self, say you were stupid and young and "going through a phase", and appear utterly mortified. Both ways, you'll get away with it, with a lot of leg pulling and snorts of manic laughter. So, which way would you pick? Let me know, how it works out for ya.

P.S: If you know anyone going through any of the above mentioned phases, or something even worse, please stop them. You'll be helping society and I (along with a billion other people) will be eternally grateful to you. Otherwise, the Grammar Nazis are gonna get you.

P.P.S: I'm one of them.I love the English Language, people, don't screw it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment